Sunday, May 27, 2012

We're going to Disney World..

This week was awesome, Saturday my parents showed up along with my sisters and the next day we headed to Orlando, where we had a fun week filled with Disney world, Universal Studios, and the beach. It was wonderful to see my family, and to get away from the house a little. It's been getting a little bit lonely and the break was refreshing. We just returned last night, and needless to say I didn't have any time to try out new recipes, but I definitely made a point to try some new foods and thought I'd share some of the meals here with you all! Maybe I'll even attempt to recreate some of them sometime on here :) Next week I'll resume my usual pace with some new recipes for you all to try, but for now, here's the awesome vacation food :) (forgive the quality, they were all taken with my cell phone)

 Starting off are these cornish pasties with garden salad, which I had at the Three Broomsticks in the wizarding world of harry potter in Universal studios. They were delicious; warm pastry filled with potatoes, vegetables and ground beef and wonderfully spiced. Also here I got to try butterbeer, which to my best guess is a mixture of cream soda and butterscotch and is simply delicious, especially when partially frozen into a slushy form! Definitely something I'm going to try to recreate at home sometime.
Next up is something I know most people haven't heard of before, or even knew you could eat, and these are fried zucchini flowers. They're the flower of the zucchini plant and are usually stuffed with something, in this case a mixture of ricotta, parmesan and I something else I couldn't quite put my finger on. They might sound weird, but they were actually very tasty, and the flavors mixed together really nicely. Not sure where one would go about finding and purchasing zucchini flowers, but if I can I may have to try these as well.
 Now for something a little more normal, but still something I had yet to try myself, white asparagus with cherry tomatoes. They were drizzled with olive oil and seasoned nicely. I don't think personally I'm too big of a fan of asparagus, but these went very well with the tomatoes and I did like it quite a bit. Was a very nice side dish to the fried zucchini flowers!

It also just so happened to be close to star wars weekend in Disney and I just happen to be a huge nerd. I might have picked up a hitchhiker or two along the way... Well that's it for now, next week I'll have some fresh new recipes to share, but in the meantime, whats the strangest new food that you've tried recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment