Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Going out of town?

With my husband being in the military and deploying, something I, and all military wives have to eventually face, is the possible reality that our husbands may be injured or die. There is no way to avoid it, it's a reality we live with all the time, and everyone handles the worry of that reality differently. I have realized that someday I may have to face it, but for the most part I, and I'm sure most military wives try to ignore it the best that we can. We know it's a possibility, but there's no reason to dwell on it, because we still have a life to live, some have jobs to do, or children to raise or households to run. One of the worst parts of the deployment for me so far, besides not having my husband with me, has been having to update my address with my husbands unit whenever I leave town and then return. Why? So that, God forbid something should happen to my husband, they know where to find me, and where to send that dreaded black car that carries the message of death. As someone who enjoys travelling, I will have to make many of these phone calls, and I dread them. The first one I had to make, I had to explain the reason behind me giving them my new address, and I couldn't help but get a little emotional just at the thought of it. I love my husband, I am so incredibly proud of who he is and what he does, and I do not begrudge the army for the sacrifices that we already make, and may have to make in the future. I'm also not trying to say that they should not have this system in place, it exists for a good reason. I would hate for me to end up like the woman who was in Illinois when her husband was killed in action, and found out through facebook and a text message before getting official news from the army. However, that doesn't make the reminder of the ultimate sacrifice that my husband may have to make someday any easier, or less upsetting. I pray that I never see that car pull up to my house, that no other military wife would ever have to see that car pull up to their house, but that is the sacrifice that some of us, as military wives, will be called to make. I just hope I will be strong enough to handle it as well as anyone would be expected if that day ever comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment