Sunday, April 15, 2012

Welcome to Funky Town

This week was a little funky, everything I seemed to plan for this blog fell through or wasn't going to work for some reason, but luckily I got some last minute inspiration for an awesome dinner using stuff around the house one day! Things have still not sunk in for me, I'm still cooking enough for two, and wanting to turn to say stuff to him or show him something before remembering that he's not home. Luckily we live in a wonderful computer age so I still get to talk to him pretty much as much as I'd like, but it'll never be the same. Enough of that, lets get back to the most important part of this blog, the food! Using the leftover prosciutto from last week's recipes, and some sliced cheese I have around the house, I did an oven baked, breaded chicken cordon blue, which was amazingly tasty, and like the other one looked pretty fancy. I was craving some honey mustard to put over it, and because I didn't have any, I made my own. While I know at least for me, it was intimidating at first, making your own dressings is really pretty easy, I'm not sure why I don't do it more often. Using mostly things you have around the house you can make some really awesome dressings and vinaigrettes, altering them to your own preferences. Sadly I don't have any photos yet, hopefully I'll get one up in the next day or two, but I'm currently out of town, and don't have access to my photos.

Chicken Cordon Blue



  • 2 chicken breasts, or 4 chicken cutlets (same as the saltimbocca, if you can't find cutlets or they are too expensive, feel free to get chicken breasts, butterfly them but cut all the way through, so you have two pieces about the same size but half the thickness of the original chicken breast)
  • 4 slices of prosciutto
  • 4 slices of swiss (or another cheese if you prefer)
  • around 1/4 cup butter (melted, you can always add more if you don't have enough)
  • around 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs (plain, and add your own seasonings, or seasoned, same as above, you can always add more later)
This is another roulade, or a rolled meat, which is what the last recipe would have been considered. You can do it with beef, chicken, pork, etc. but chicken is my favorite to do it with. You could just stack it if it would be easier, but the roulades always seem a bit fancier for not too much extra work. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Top the chicken with a slice of prosciutto, and then a slice of cheese. Personally I did two with swiss and two with provolone because that's just what I have. Swiss is traditional but really any white cheese would work very well. My husband loves spice so I may have to try it with pepperjack sometime. Starting at the short tapered end roll it up as tightly as you can, and secure with a toothpick. Dip in the melted butter, making sure it completely covers the chicken, and then roll it in the breadcrumbs. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake for 30-40 minutes. 

Honey Mustard Dressing



  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard 
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
I used brown mustard, because its all we had around the house, so I used a bit more honey because I prefer a sweeter honey mustard, but that's the great thing about making your own dressings. You can alter them however you'd like. In a small bowl whisk together all the ingredients. Store covered in the refrigerator. 

Hope you enjoy! Please leave a comment if you have any questions, comments or ideas :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! You're inspiring me to put a little more effort into my meal planning and try some new things. Enjoying the commentary, too!

    ReplyDelete