Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day 2 - the sweet side of bacon

Alright, a day late but I'll double up on posts today. So I promised candied bacon and I have delivered. I decided to try a few different ways, and I'll go through how they were and the opinions on them. First off, when doing candied bacon, always bake it, and preferably bake it on a baking rack. I'm visiting friends and they don't have one so I ended up using the tin foil method. Worked alright, but it ends up a lot more sticky and gooey than I prefer for my candied bacon. Alright, so the first two ways, were just with brown sugar. I used a ton of brown sugar on both sides on one, and a lighter amount of brown sugar on both sides of the other. Both were decent, but the general consensus was that the lighter amount let more bacon flavor come through and was better. It also wasn't as cloyingly sweet.
The second way, was in this syrup/brown sugar/ mustard mixture, which gave it a bit of sweet and spicy and was really good. It was sort of difficult to work with however, as it's so thick and sticky that coating the bacon in it was difficult. I did that in two different amounts as well, but by the end of the baking process you couldn't really tell a difference cause it all just oozed all over. It was tasty though, a taste similar to honey roasted peanuts, and this is a recipe we'll be going back for, to make some other goodies like bacon chocolate chip cookies and such. I'll try the baking rack method too next time and give you an update on how much better that went.
Note: We used maple bacon, which added to the sweetness. If you were to use a thicker cut, peppery bacon, it'd be a whole different story, but if you do, let me know how it goes! That is my personal favorite kind of bacon.

And on to the recipes!

For the brown sugar bacon, not really a recipe needed. just sprinkle some on, depending on how sweet you want it, on both sides. For the super brown sugar one I hid the entirety of the bacon in brown sugar (I love sugar and sweet stuff mmkay?) the other one was a lighter sprinkle over it. Then just lay it on the sheet pan or baking rack and bake at 350 for around 15-20 minutes. If you don't use the baking rack be careful! It really stiffens up after you take it out, so you don't need to have it super crispy or it'll start to burn with all of that sugar.

Now, for the syrupy one. There is an exact recipe but I usually just sorta guess. Don't want a lot of spicy? cut down on those ingredients. Want more? then add more, play with it, have fun. But I'll give you the measurements here in case you wanna go by the book (I just didn't want to candy 1 lb of bacon!)
 1lb good quality sliced bacon
2 T pure maple syrup (they recommended against pancake syrup, I used it and had no problems, wasn't going to splurge on special syrup for bacon)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 t dijon mustard
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and then add the bacon, mixing with your hands to get the best coverage. It's not going to cover it completely and it's going to seem a bit dry but that's how it's supposed to be. If you want more, make more of the mixture. Lay it out on the baking sheet and let it bake for 15-20 minutes, it should get very crispy, but if you don't have the baking rack don't worry about it because it won't get THAT crispy without it. Well enjoy! Try different combinations, let me know how it goes, experiment :) I only used a few slices of bacon at a time so if something didn't turn out I didn't waste the whole batch. Have a recipe to share? Comment and let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment