Thursday, April 3, 2014

Would you like some salad with your bacon?

One of the recipes I'd always been curious about but never tried myself, was warm bacon dressing. Seen it on iron chef, cooking shows, heard about it, and for some reason despite me LOVING bacon (can't you tell yet?) I had never tried it. I was determined to use this month as the perfect excuse to indulge in all my bacon fantasies, think willy wonka's factory but with bacon. No visions of sugar plums here, but of bacon, thick cut, maple, smoked, peppered, salty crispy goodness. Well to get back on track, I finally got to try out this dressing and it was amazing (like I ever doubted that). It adds just the right amount of bacon, paired with shallots and oil and vinegar which I think has turned it into one of my favorite dressings of all time. I am a huge fan of homemade salad dressings which just made this that much better. It is wonderful served warm, wilts the salad just a bit and you just have to try it for yourself and see. Well, enough of that, recipe time!

Warm Bacon Dressing 


  • 3 slices uncooked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 2 T minced shallot 
  • 2 T water
  • 2 T white wine vinegar
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/8 t black pepper
Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat until browned and crisp, stirring frequently. This is one of my favorite ways to cook bacon, it just ends up lil nuggets of awesome bacony-ness. It'll take about 7 minutes give or take, remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate and drain out all but 1Tablespoon of the bacon drippings. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, stir to blend and then stir in the bacon bits, and voila you're done! It says it yields about enough for 12 cups of loosely packed lettuce, but lets face it, most of us would just drink this straight so I don't give that number any credence in my house. Now it is ready to drizzle all over your healthy veggies and make them just a lil less healthy. Or go ahead and just drink it straight, I won't tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment